Monday, March 20, 2006

Mayhem!!

I was looking forward to this Sunday because it was supposed to be the elections in our building. Got up early that day, got all the work done at home so that I could be in time for the meeting. At the appointed hour went to the office and there was no surprise in store!! I was the only woman who attended the meeting!! The men were stunned to see a woman amidst them. As the meeting proceeded, it was decided that that the elections would take place before the end of the month and not today!! (Don’t ask me why!!) But as usual (that’s what my hubby tells me) there were abuses, accusations (Thank god! They spared the chairs!!) hurled left, right and centre. There was chaos reigning there and I was shocked that no one was willing to take control of the situation and bring some order. Finally I stood up (couldn’t have faced my conscience if I sat any longer and watched all that nonsense) and requested that people close the meeting formally and fight like cats and dogs after people left.

To my surprise, my short speech was well received (with thalis if I may add!) and the meeting was closed immediately.

Couple of things crossed my mind about this experience of mine: will my participation in this meeting send signals to other women to break the barriers and step out?? I could sense that couple of men were very uncomfortable with my presence in the meeting. One even tried to stop me as I was speaking. Will there now be more conscious forces working to not get women out of their homes???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear aruna! This is a great initiative and don't give up the fight. next meeting make sure that there are equal no. of women standing up for elections and then the tone of your meetings will change forever. also it is a violation of law not too have the requisite no. of women in the society meetings and positions. i think you should also stun them with that.
also loved your other stories. Will get that book, New Earth; have also not heard Jashan calling my own name yet - only Maaaa, and would want to read you chinese calendar when we meet next, love lysa

Anonymous said...

Yes I guess a lot of small things go un noticed in life ! Although they may not be necessarily small and may be gates to transform ourselves and take a new lead in life..

Ever thought of contesting an election !!!