Friday, February 03, 2006

The Tamil connection…

In my growing years (no! I am not that old now!!) I was not someone who was heavily into ‘arty’ movies – just didn’t like the idea of having to sit through a movie with your brains on!!!!!!!!!!! As years passed on, thanks to my development work and my interest in people and relationships, started watching the so called ‘non mainstream’ cinema. I cant claim to have watched too many of them and go and see one only if it is highly recommended.

Aparna Sen is a director who was highly recommended by a friend. I watched Mr & Mrs Iyer and loved it for its sensitivities and sensibilities! Then I watched 15 Park Avenue recently, a depressing movie but I appreciated it for the riveting performances of all its actors especially Konkana Sen. Something that struck me after seeing both the movies………….there is an important character (more so in the former movie than the latter) in both the movies who has a Tamil connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it with Sen and Tamil??? I am yet to decipher!! But I loved it!! Better than the clichéd portrayal of all south Indians as Madrasis with those typical accents!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have mentioned this………can’t rest till I explore this connection………….watch this space!!

No comments: