Thursday, February 02, 2006

Musical disillusionment ...............

I am a sucker for reality shows especially the ones that showcase music talent. I would religiously plonk myself in front of the idiot box to curse the judges for their harsh remarks or to shed a few tears for my favourite contestant who was voted out!! Thankfully I have always stopped short of voting for my favourite contestant by sending them an SMS or calling them!! (I always wonder – do people actually sit and send those SMS’s or it’s a gimmick that the channel plays on all of us that they have received lakhs and lakhs of votes for the contestants. Could people be so jobless??!!! Well, if there are jobless ones like me watching such shows then I guess there must be jobless ones who send these SMSs too!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Off late I have been glued to couple of music shows that proclaim to be the best talent hunt shows ever to hit Indian Television!!!!!!!!! Some of the singers have genuine talent and I sit and admire (and sometimes envy too!!) their passion and their dedication.The transformation (I mean the physical appearance!) of some of the contestants is phenomenal and the focus these days is more on this and the packaging and less on singing talent per se. Something that struck me recently and irritated me to no end was the fact that few of the contestants did not sing live and it was after all lip sync!! Can u believe that!! Voices recorded in a studio and the contestant woes the audience (studio and TV) with his live wire performance!! It’s a different matter that some of them sang awfully despite having recorded their songs and they didn’t have to face the ordeal of singing live!!

This is such a shame! I feel terrible that I am one of those ardent followers who has been taken for a royal musical ride………………..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aruna, I told you so already in one of my earlier comments (I think it was in response to your blog titled "Passion rekindled") and every passing day my suspicion is only gaining credence. We are all being conned, each one of us is being made into a Jim Carrey. Well, it's okay as long as it does not impact our pesonal lives too much, but my theory is true nevertheless.

Anonymous said...

Well, actually in addition to this lip sync thing that has irritated you, another thing I noted recently in one of these talent shows is the way they dramatize the entire show. I saw judges walking out in protest (only to come back in the next episode). All this is a gimmick well played out by all these guys. It's a pity people enjoy these shows thinking it's all for real. I watched it purely by accident by the way :-))

Aruna said...

You know its funny! I used to scoff at all those people who used to watch WWF. Everything there is staged as well but atleast everyone knows about it but still choose to go to have some fun (??). Now I am a victim of one of these staged shows as well!!!! Life does teach you lovely lessons at times!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting coincdence that we talk about STAGED shows and there we have a similar sentiment expressed by a columnist on rediff.com. Go to this link "http://ia.rediff.com/movies/2006/feb/02peri.htm" and you will find that our views are being echoed by this person.

Aruna said...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
- Hunter S. Thompson