Sunday, February 04, 2007

Spoilt by the East

My recent travels have taken me to four countries in as many months. Three of them in the Asia region and one in Europe. I am someone who adapts to a new situation pretty easily without much fuss. I have been put up in very decent hotels in all my recent trips abroad. In Asia, all the hotels I stayed in had spacious rooms, comfortable bathrooms, excellent room service (very important criteria for me to judge a hotel as I tend to order a lot in my room as I work late!) and well organized conference facilities. Staff tend to go out of the way to assist you and make a guest feel comfortable. Have left most of these hotels with a smile on my face!



In stark contrast, the hotel room I stayed in London was extremely small, claustrophobic and room service wasn’t up to the mark. The staff were far from courteous (sniffing racism here??!!) and I sensed a disinterest and an urge to pack off guests as soon as possible.



The experience also left me wondering what these so called developed western countries have achieved! Asians have this history of pampering one and all and for once I wasn’t cribbing!!

1 comment:

Harold said...

yeah, It must be a mindset thing.

When I returned from london, the virgin atlantic check in staff made a huge fuss about some couple of kilos excess luggage I had. On the ticket it said 32 kg, but she handed me some jacket which claimed 20 odd kg. When I boarded the flight it turns out it was 90% empty!!