Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Passion rekindled……..

“Amma, don’t move from there – Azhar just hit a four when you were in that position. Dad, what dress did you were two days back when India won the match?!!” very common utterances when I was watching cricket as a kid in our home in Trichy. As a kid I used to watch every match possible and used to even bunk school to watch a cricket match on TV!! Used to be highly superstitious about everything concerning the game and the passion for the game was sustained for several years thanks to the interest and fervor with which our family watched and discussed the game!!

Over the last few years, this passion has come down drastically and I am not sure why?? The over hype on cricket or is it the match fixing allegations or the fading away of my heroes like Azharuddin, Wasim Akram???? Recently, when my family got together after several years, we got to watch day 3 in the Indo-Pak 2nd test match. “Come on, do anything but don’t get out to a Shoaib Akhtar ball” screams by dad; “its time to give Afridi some bashing – hit him for a six’ pleads by uncle!!!!!!!!!! I sit glued to a seat because Dhoni (the new poster boy of Indian cricket?!!!!) smashes all and sundry to the fence. Arguments galore amongst everyone about ganguly’s omission, tendulkar walking away, the Pakistani crowd and what not.

Watching the match brought back memories of my childhood. The passion that flowed, the idiosyncrasies that followed, the expert commentaries, the non stop snack flows etc etc…………….

I miss those times……….. I miss that old me…………I miss that passion…………..

5 comments:

Jaunty Quicksand said...

There must have been some strong mojo at work in your house - Akhtar huffed and puffed but it was Dhoni who bought the (Pakistani) house down! Well done. I was lying in bed and watching it and did not move for hours, for the same reason!

Anonymous said...

Aruna, I envy you because you managed to get the passion back from your childhood days, albeit after a long gap. I have never been able to do this however hard I try. That craze to watch cricket is long gone now, and I wonder if I will ever stay glued to my TV set again. I think it's all thanks to the match fixing controversies. I feel like I'm being conned, just like how Jim Carrey was in that movie called "The Truman Show".

Anonymous said...

Hey, for a second I thought you were quoting me ! I remember asking family members to not change positions and have always attached sentiments to clothes during cricket matches !!

It is good to have the passion rekindled. It is this underlying passion that acts as the catalyst for bigger and better dreams throughtout life....

Aruna said...

oh yes priya!! all the passion in the initial years came thanks to you and mom!!! miss those days - waking up early mornings to watch matches in Australia!!! the screams and the yells!!! IT WAS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaunty Quicksand said...

Looks like we did not have the right positions or the right outfits or some such thing...the performance in the 3rd Test was sad.