Saturday, September 15, 2007

My beliefs vs. My friendships

For some time now I have been battling this dilemma in my mind....whether to go with my values / beliefs or to stick to new friendships that I have made in the recent past.

I am quite against the idea of having children working in any kind of circumstances. Call it the righteousness in me or the background of my exposure in the development field, but I can’t fathom children working in homes leave alone working in difficult circumstances such as coal mines, firework factories etc. A few friends of mine do have young children, within 16 years of age, whom they have as full time help in their homes. In India it’s illegal to make children work and recently child labour in homes was also recognised as an offence and made punishable. I have been toying with the idea of gently telling these friends of mine that I don’t think what they are doing is right. I am not sure how it is going to be received; are they going to be offended?

How do I deal with my conscience? What answers do I give myself when I see those children? Do I choose friendship over something I believe in? I am grappling with this predicament and hope I can sort this out soon.

1 comment:

Cpt. Jack Sparrow said...

I dont care about your friends, but lets treat this issue a bit more realistically, are you sure that the child will be in a better position if he/she is not doing he/she is doing right now?As long as there is no abuse of children! There are other ways to tackle this unfortunate situation, If you are open to debate/discussion, please reply back.